Wednesday, April 12, 2006

History of the MMF - J. Angus Spence!

Dear Webmaster:

I first met Angus seated across from me at a large table in the Marlborough Hotel. It was Fall of 1967. The Chair of the meeting was the Chief of Hollow Water a gentleman by the name of Barker. He said a few words as I was sitting on his left when turned to me and said, "OK you're next." I responded I am not sure I'm in the right place because I was Metis and did not speak an Indian language. Then I asked if anyone there were Metis. A few people raised their hands one of whom was Angus another George McKay. Shortly afterward we broke for coffee.

Angus Spence made his way over to me and introduced himself noting he was Metis. I was immeiately impressed so we went for lunch to talk about who we were, what our thinking was and the clear need for an organization to represent us. We agreed our people must come together to decide their future. As soon as the group reconvened Angus stood up to address the Assembly. He was a very good speaker pointing out the need for us to meet. The Chair then asked him to make a Motion which he did and inquired if he had someone to second it. "Yes" he said at which point I stood to introduce myself.

A room was set up for us and the rest is history. Some of the others attending were Adam Cuthhand, Joe Keeper, Mary Guilbault, Herman Burston and Tom Eagle (Joe Keeper may still have minutes of the meeting). So I describe Angus and myself as co-founders of the modern day Metis movement. More to follow.

Fortunat Guiboche
April 12, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home