Monday, April 17, 2006

A Metis veteran passes!

Dear Webmaster:

Good Day I am a member of the Canadian Forces and have been to France to see the graves of our Métis Veterans who have given their lives for our people and country. Today they are still dying and we are losing that part of our history.

Last week a Métis veteran from my home town pasted away, a decorated hero...his name was Robert Lavalle (I hope I spelled his last name right). He was a soft spoken man with a golden heart. As a child growing up, I was always happy to see him riding around on his tractor going about his business, a content soul - I never knew of his military past (he never spoke of those hard memories) and only became aware when attending a gathering of Métis Veterans in the 90's. I saw so many former military men going over to shake his hand and him sitting silently there shaking theirs with familiarity, smiling. I, standing there in my uniform, felt the humbleness of the man. Mr. Lavalle we will all miss you. One less attachment to our rich history.

Warrant Officer Guiboche
Royal Winnipeg Rifles
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Warrant Officer Guiboche:

On behalf of our readers thank you for writing such a simple yet beautiful letter.

Sincerely,
Clare L. Pieuk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home