Friday, April 14, 2006

The Yvon Dumont Trial!

Tansi/Good Day Folks:

Registered my Motion Brief (21 pages) in the defamation lawsuit against CyberSmokeSignals.com a couple days ago at The Provincial Law Courts Building. It will be heard before Justice McCawley on Monday May 1, 2006. While there I tried to access the Yvon Dumont dossier but it was with the File Co-ordinator suggesting more documentation has or is being added. Staff suggested I check back after the long weekend to see if it has been returned which I'll do. The trial begins Monday April 24, 2006 and is expected to last four days. In the meantime here's something we thought you might find interesting.

Sincerely,
Clare L. Pieuk
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
File No. CI 05-01-42919
THE QUEEN'S BENCH
WINNIPEG CENTRE
(Expedited Action - Rule 20 A)

BETWEEN:

METIS NATIONAL COUNCIL SECRETARIAT INC.

Plaintiff

- and -

W. YVON DUMONT

Defendant
__________________________________________________
AFFIDAVIT OF W. YVON DUMONT
SWORN THE 20TH DAY OF MARCH, 2006
__________________________________________________

REGAN THATCHER LAW OFFICE
390 York Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3C 0P3

Regan Thatcher
Telephone No: 947-5484
Fax No: 943-0282

AFFIDAVIT OF W. YVON DUMONT SWORN THE 20TH DAY OF MARCH, 2006

I, W. YVON DUMONT, of the City of Winnipeg, in the Province of Manitoba MAKE OATH AND SAY THAT:

1. I am the defendant herein, and as such, I have knowledge of the facts and matters hereinafter deposed to by me except where same are stated to be based upon information and belief, in which case I do verily believe same to be true.

2. I make this affidavit in support of the Notice of Motion of Regan Thatcher, my counsel in this matter, to withdraw.

3. On November 15, 2005 the Honourable Mr. Justice A.D. MacInnes set this matter down for trial to begin April 24, 2006 and continue through until April 28, 2006.

4. I do not wish to incur the expense of having a lawyer represent me at trial. For this reason, I would like to represent myself.

5. This matter is essentially ready for trial with the exception of two things:

(a) I must file a statement of defence to the amended statement of claim. The amended statement of defence will not raise any new defenses, and the filing of same, as stated in the case conference memorandum (number two) is very much a formality. Mr. Thatcher has indicated that he will assist me in having this defence filed forthwith.

(b) There is one undertaking that I must get response to arising out of the examinations for discovery. Mr. Thatcher has assured me that he will assist me in answering that undertaking forthwith.

6. I am fully aware that there are risks associated with representing myself at trial, and further that I am not a professionally trained lawyer and may accordingly be at a disadvantage. Notwithstanding, I would like to represent myself at trial.

SWORN before me at the City of)
Winnipeg, in the Province of)
Manitoba, this 20th day of)
March, 2006.)

(Signed)
Regan Thatcher
A Barrister at law in and for the Province of Manitoba.

(Signed)
W.Yvon Dumont

Note: On March 31, 2006 Mr. Anders Bruun Senior Partner, Campbell Marr LLP (www.campbellmarr.com) filed a Notice Of Appointment Of Lawyer indicating he'd be representing Mr. Dumont.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home