Friday, February 08, 2008

Mr. Deslauriers, MMF Inc. = incorporated = corporation!

Member Manoeuvred Off Board?
Claims Criticisms Of Métis Federation President Led To His Removal

By Aldo Santin
Winnipeg Free Press
Friday, February 8, 2008

A long-time member of the Manitoba Métis Federation said he was manoeuvred off the Board of Directors because of his criticisms of Federation President David Chartrand.

Darrel Deslauriers said he was removed late last year after he was forced into bankruptcy by an MMF subsidiary, a lending institution called Louis Riel Capital Corporation, over a $56,000 loan for a truck.

Deslauriers said that after he declared bankruptcy, MMF officials informed him that the Corporations Act prohibits anyone in bankruptcy from holding a seat on a corporation Board.

Chartrand said Deslauriers was a deadbeat who got what he deserved.

"This is just a vile attempt by Mr. Deslauriers to put a negative spin on the Federation," Chartrand said. "He knew the rules, knew that if he declared bankruptcy he couldn't stay on the Board. He wouldn't resign so he was removed."

Deslauriers said he had spent the previous several months questioning Chartrand, particularly over his handling of funds as Health Minister of the Métis National Council. Deslauriers said he also opposed Chartrand's efforts to have Manitoba delegates support his candidate in the upcoming Métis National Council presidential election.

"I had been a member of the MMF for eight years and for all that time I believed I was part of a Métis government," Deslauriers said. "Then I found out I wasn't part of government - I was on a corporation."

Deslauriers said he suspects that officials from the Louis Riel Capital Corporation manoeuvred him into a position of bankruptcy in a bid to silence his criticism of Chartrand.

The Louis Riel Capital Corporation "went after my loan and I had no choice but to declare bankruptcy," Deslauriers said. "They had already taken my truck, emptied my bank account and my kids' trust accounts and were going after my house. I had to declare bankruptcy to save my house. Then I found out I was off the Board."

Chartrand said the MMF and the Métis National Council have a good relationship with Ottawa and there are no issues over how either body is spending money given to it by the federal government.

Chartrand said Deslauriers had refused for several years to pay back his loan, adding the Louis Riel Capital Corporation seized his property to make good the debt.

Chartrand said that every candidate for the MMF Board knows that they would be removed from their position if they fall into bankruptcy.

Deslauriers is still included as a Director on the MMF website but Chartrand said a byelection will be held soon to replace him.

aldo.santin@freepress.mb.ca

Note: On his November 28, 2007 termination letter President Chartrand wrote, "Take care my friend - David"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home