Friday, October 28, 2011

That dam beaver sounds awfully like the Canadian Senate!

Good Day Readers:

Seen any polar bears roaming around Saskatchewan, Alberta, Ontario ..... lately? Makes one wonder if perhaps the well-financially taxpayer compensated Ms Eaton doesn't have better things to do with her time than insult the poor, defenseless little beaver?Senator Nicole C. Eaton
Ontario

Biography

I was born and educated in Montreal and for some years in Europe. I graduated in production from Montreal’s National Theatre School. After graduating I worked as a stage manager for l’Opera du Quebec and Theatre Nouveau Monde, moved to Toronto where I worked as a field producer for CFTO television, and took advantage of these roles to begin what would become extensive travels throughout the country. Following my marriage to Thor Eaton, I left television and devoted my time to raising two children and volunteerism in the community.

A commitment to volunteerism

I have served as a Trustee of the George R. Gardiner Museum, Director of the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair, Director of the Stratford Festival of Canada and Trustee and Governor of the Royal Ontario Museum, where I helped create the Institute for Contemporary Culture. Today, I am Chair of the Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies and Director and Vice-Chair of both the St. Michael's Hospital Foundation and the National Ballet of Canada.

A dedication to public life

I grew up in a family both interested and involved in politics. In 1998 I joined the PC Fund of Canada as a Director. When the two heritage parties merged the Prime Minister nominated me as a Director of the Conservative Fund of Canada. I chaired the final Leadership Convention of the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada in May of 2003 in Toronto. I was Chair of both the 2005 inaugural Policy Convention of the Conservative Party of Canada in Montreal and the 2008 Policy Convention in Winnipeg.

Amongst my many interests is gardening. For three years I co-wrote, with Kelvin Browne, a gardening column in the National Post. I also co-authored two books: At Home in Canada and the best-selling In a Canadian Garden.

A new challenge

I was appointed to the Senate of Canada by Prime Minister Stephen Harper on January 2, 2009, was sworn into that distinguished institution on January 26, 2009, and delivered my maiden speech on February 11, 2009—an address focused on the profound value generated when Canadians invest themselves fully in their country.

I am a member of three Senate Standing Committees (Agriculture and Forestry; Transport and Communications; Official Languages), one Standing Joint Committee (Library of Parliament), and I chair the Artwork Advisory Working Group.

CyberSmokeBlog unofficial word count: "I" = 17; "me" = 3

As many will likely agree, thank goodness a couple media outlets have already started save "the beaver" online campaigns! Remind us again why some are calling for abolition of the Senate?

Sincerely,
Clare L. Pieuk

_________________________________________________
Dam the beaver - use the polar bare as official emblem says Tory

Thursday, October 27, 2011

OTTAWA—A Conservative senator says it’s time Canada was symbolized by something more majestic than a buck-toothed rodent.

Senator Nicole Eaton wants the polar bear to replace the beaver as an official emblem of Canada.

She says the polar bear is Canada’s “most majestic and splendid mammal,” and a powerful symbol in the lives of native peoples in the North.

She believes the furry, white carnivore’s “strength, courage, resourcefulness and dignity” is an appropriate symbol for modern-day Canada.

By contrast, she derides the lowly beaver as a “19th century has-been,” a “dentally defective rat,” a “toothy tyrant” and a nuisance that wreaks havoc on its environment.

Eaton acknowledges the beaver’s involuntary role in founding Canada — as the fashionable pelts that fuelled the fur trade — but she says it’s now time for a change.

“A country’s symbols are not constant and can change over time as long as they reflect the ethos of the people and the spirit of the nation,” Eaton told her Senate colleagues Thursday.

“The polar bear, with its strength, courage, resourcefulness and dignity is perfect for the part.”

Eaton said the beaver should “step aside as a Canadian emblem, or, at the least, share the honour with the stately polar bear.”

The Canadian Press

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home